Want to send a music file with WhatsApp for iPhone? For Android users it’s easy to send a song via WhatsApp, because it’s the operating system itself that offers the option. For iPhone users, it’s another matter.
WhatsApp for iOS allows you to send pictures, videos, contacts and geographic location…but not music. Fortunately, sending an MP3 via WhatsApp for iPhone is still possible. All you need is the help of a free app that offers an Open With option. There are a few of these, but iZip seems to be the most suitable for our purpose.
Here, I’ll take you through how to send an audio file with WhatsApp for iPhone.
How to send audio files using iZip
1. Install iZip on your iPhone. Open the program.
2. Select Music Library.
3. Open a folder (e.g. Albums).
4. Tap Select in the top right of the screen and choose the song you want to send with WhatsApp. At this point, Select will be replaced by Done.
5. Tap the Zip button at the bottom center of the interface. The app will compress the file.
6. This will open the folder Local Files. From there, you can select the ZIP file you just created.
7. You’ll be asked Would you like to extract all files? Tap OK .
8. This automatically creates and opens a folder in Local Files with the decompressed song. Then select the file .
9. Now, tap Open In (at the bottom center of the screen) and, from the choices that appear, select Open in WhatsApp.
10. It will open WhatsApp automatically. Select the user you want to send the MP3 to, and when it asks you to Send to [contact name], click on Yes.
At this point, the file will load and send. When the recipient receives it, you can listen to it by tapping the Play icon next to the music file.
Beware of copyright
This method lets iPhone users exchange music via WhatsApp, even if the procedure is a bit more complicated than for Android users.Remember, however, that sharing music files protected by copyright laws is illegal, so only send audio or music that can be freely shared.
One last tip: if you want to share a new song with a friend, instead of sending the file, you can share it with them via Spotify. To do so, just find the song you like, tap the menu with the three dots next to it, and select WhatsApp.
Then, select the contact, confirm you want to send it, and you’re done. Simple, fast, safe and totally legal.
If you’re looking for other tricks for using WhatsApp, look for them in the index of our comprehensive guide to WhatsApp.